Instagram has announced changes to their API that will impact ScribbleLive's products beginning on December 11th, 2018.
Please read the below for information on these changes and the possible impact to your use of Instagram search and automation within ScribbleLive products, as well as our recommendations for how to prepare for these changes.
- What's happening with Instagram?
- How will ScribbleLive be affected?
- How will I be affected?
- How can I prepare?
- Are there any workarounds?
- Will this affect the Instagram posts I've already published?
- Will I need to refresh my automated hashtags each week?
- How will I re-authenticate my Instagram account?
We will provide updates as soon as they become available.
What's happening with Instagram?
On December 11, 2018, Instagram deprecated its legacy API, which ScribbleLive and other Instagram partners have been using for years to track and search Instagram posts. Instagram recently announced a more limited Hashtag Search functionality using its new Graph API that will replace the legacy API.
How will ScribbleLive be affected?
ScribbleLive has been working with Facebook and Instagram to transition from the legacy API to the Graph API and support the newly released Hashtag Search feature. While we are working hard to accommodate these API changes, we are still awaiting the necessary approvals from Facebook to be able to access and support Instagram hashtag search functionality in our products.
Because we do not have visibility into how long the approval process will take, we cannot provide an estimated timeframe by which we will be able to support the new hashtag search functionality.
*** As a result, Instagram functionality will be impacted in ScribbleLive products beginning on December 11th, 2018***
More specifically, searching for Instagram hashtags or setting up an Instagram hashtag automation campaign may not be available or fully functional.
We recommend that you review your Instagram content strategy and prepare for possible disruption of service beginning on December 11th, 2018, in the event that we are not able to receive approval prior to December 11th.
How will I be affected?
Expect to experience Instagram disruptions as we transition to the the new Graph API.
Once the new Graph API is up and running, there will be 2 main changes in functionality:
- The way you authenticate your Instagram account - The new Graph API requires authentication by a Facebook user with a role on a Facebook page linked to an Instagram business page.
- The way you track Instagram hashtags - There's a limit of 30 tracked hashtags per authenticated Instagram business page per rolling seven day period.
*** Instagram functionality will be impacted beginning on December 11th, 2018***
We will inform you of additional updates as soon as they become available.
How can I prepare?
To prepare for these changes, we recommend that your team takes the following 5 steps:
- Create an Instagram business page - In order to search for Instagram hashtags, you’ll need an Instagram business page to authenticate against. See this article for information on how to create an Instagram business page.
- Create a Facebook page - Make sure that each affiliate station in your organization has its own Facebook page to ensure that each individual affiliate can use their weekly allotment of 30 tracked hashtags.
- Save your Facebook login credentials - The Instagram business account needs to be linked to a Facebook page in order to be authenticated. Make sure you know your company's Facebook login credentials.
- Assign roles on Facebook - Multiple team members may need to be assigned roles or added to your Facebook page. To authenticate and search for Instagram hashtags in ScribbleLive, the user must be a Facebook user who has a role on a Facebook page which is linked to an Instagram business account.
- Think strategically about hashtags - Review your use of Instagram hashtags and think strategically about which ones are most important to you. Remember, you can only search for 30 unique hashtags per week per Instagram business account.
Are there any workarounds?
Yes. You will be able to include posts from Instagram by copying the Instagram post's link or URL and pasting it into the Content Studio's rich text editor.
See the process below!
- In Instagram, copy the link of the post you want to include.
- In ScribbleLive Engage, paste the link in the Content Studio's rich text editor.
- The post will render a preview. Select Publish to send the post to the stream.
Will this affect the Instagram posts I've already published?
No. The Instagram posts you’ve already published through ScribbleLive will not be affected.
What will be affected are any automated hashtag searches you've already configured. You will need to re-enter automated hashtags after re-authenticating your account.
Will I need to refresh my automated hashtags each week?
No. Once you’ve automated a hashtag, you will not need to make any changes. For example, if you’re running a 3-week campaign, you’ll only need to set up an automated hashtag once.
Keep in mind that automated hashtags will need to updated once the new Graph API has been configured.
How will I re-authenticate my Instagram account?
Once the new Graph API has been set up, you will receive a prompt when you try to search for a hashtag on Instagram. Enter the required Facebook login credentials to authenticate your account.
Keep in mind!
When you re-authenticate your account, you will be connected to Instagram's updated Graph API. This means that any automated hashtags will need to be reconnected.